||Users ' Purchase Intention toward Perceived Risk, Promotion, Interactivity and Culture Factors
on Online Hotel Booking Websites
||Master's Program, Department Of International Business
Online hotel booking website
||According to research data, there are more and more Taiwanese traveling independently these days. With the help of Internet, traditional hotel-booking method has changed enormously. Therefore, understanding factors the customers consider a hotel booking website becomes a significant topic. Furthermore, foreign visitors book accommodations by booking websites as well. As a result, this research would largely explore the key factor and cultural aspects swaying customers’ choice.
This research discusses three dimensions including perceived risk, promotion, and interactivity to analyze if consumers’ purchase intention is significant impacted. Also, culture serves as mediator to see if there is mediating effect between perceived risk, promotion, and interactivity toward purchase intention. This research also focus on cultural element to discuss usage behavior difference when Taiwanese and foreign visitors use online hotel booking websites, in order to understand usage behavior of foreign consumers better. Questionnaire method is conducted to do descriptive statistic analysis, reliability and factor analysis, Pearson correlation analysis and regression analysis and discuss the result. Finally, it is discovered that perceived risk has negative effect on purchase intention while promotion and interactivity have positive effect. Moreover, cultural element has mediating effect not only between perceived risk and purchase intention but also between interactivity and purchase intention. However, cultural element doesn’t have mediating effect between promotion and purchase intention.
List of Table III
List of Figure IV
1. Introduction 1
1.1 Research Background 1
1.2 Research Motivation 3
1.3 Research Purposes 5
1.4 Research Questions 6
2. Literature Review 8
2.1 Online hotel booking website 8
2.2 Perceived risk 10
2.3 Promotion 12
2.4 Interactivity 13
2.5 Purchase intention 15
2.6 Culture 17
2.7 Introduction of Online Hotel Booking Websites 18
3. Research Design and Methodology 24
3.1 Research Model 24
3.2 Hypotheses to Be Tested 25
3.3 Questionnaire Design 28
3.4 Measurement 31
3.5 Statistic Methods 35
4. Research Methodology 38
4.1 Sampling Analysis 38
4.2 Usage behavior Analysis 44
4.3 Factor Analysis 53
4.4 Reliability Analysis 54
4.5 Pearson Correlation Analysis 55
4.6 Regression Analysis 58
5. Conclusion 66
5.1 Research Discussions and Conclusions 66
5.2 Research Suggestions 68
5.3 Research Limitations 72
Appendix I (Questionnaire in Chinese) 90
Appendix II (Questionnaire in English) 96
List of Table
Table 2- 1: Integration of Online Hotel Booking Websites 22
Table 3- 1: Questionnaire Item for Perceived Risk 31
Table 3- 2: Questionnaire Item for Interactivity 32
Table 3- 3: Questionnaire Item for Promotion 33
Table 3- 4: Questionnaire Item for Purchase Intention 34
Table 3- 5: Questionnaire Item for Culture 35
Table 4- 1: Characteristics of Respondents-Taiwanese 39
Table 4- 2: Characteristics of Respondents-Foreigners 41
Table 4- 3: Characteristics of Respondents-Countries of Foreigners 42
Table 4- 4: Usage Frequency Distribution 44
Table 4- 5: Characteristics of Common Users-Taiwanese 45
Table 4- 6: Characteristics of Uncommon Users-Taiwanese 48
Table 4- 7: Characteristics of Common Users-Foreigners 49
Table 4- 8: Characteristics of Uncommon Users-Foreigners 52
Table 4- 9: KMO and Barlett's test 54
Table 4- 10: Reliability Analysis 55
Table 4- 11: Pearson Correlation Analysis 56
Table 4- 12: Regression Analysis(Independent variables and Mediator) 59
Table 4- 13: Regression Analysis(Independent variables and Dependent variable) 60
Table 4- 14: Regression Analysis(Independent variables-Perceived risk plus Mediator and Dependent variable) 61
Table 4- 15: Regression Analysis(Independent variables-Interactivity plus Mediator and Dependent variable) 62
Table 4- 16: Regression Analysis(Comparison between having control variable or not -Perceived risk+ Culture) 63
Table 4- 17: Regression Analysis(Comparison between having control variable or not -Interactivity + Culture) 63
Table 4- 18: Summary table 64
List of Figure
Figure 1- 1: Research Framework 7
Figure 3- 1: Hypothesis Framework 24
||1. Aaker, D. A. (1973). “Toward a Normative Model of Promotional Decision Maketing.” Management Service, Vol. 19, No. 6, 593-603.
2. Achrol, R. S., & Kotler, P. (1999). Marketing in the network economy. Journal of Marketing, 63(Special issue), 146−163.
3. American Marketing Association (1960), “Marketing Definition: A Glossary of Marketing Terms”, 15.
4. Armstrong, J. S. (2007). Significance tests harm progress in forecasting. International Journal of Forecasting, 23(2), 321-327.
5. Armstrong, J. S., V. G. Morwitz, and V. Kumar (2000), ‘Sales forecasts for existing consumer products and services: Do purchase intentions contribute to accuracy?’. International Journal of Forecasting 16(3), 383–397.
6. Baron, R. M., & Kenny, D. A. (1986). The moderator–mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of personality and social psychology, 51(6), 1173.
7. Bauer, R. A. (1960), “Consumer Behavior as Risk Taking,” In Risk Taking and Information Handling in Consumer Behavior, Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 389-398.
8. Bouaziz, F.(2008), “Public Administration Presence on the Web, ”The Electronic Journal of e-Government, 6(1), 11-22.
9. Chang, C. H. (2016). The Study of Brand Image Perceived Value, & Perceived Risk on the Customer Loyalty of Law Cost Airlines. Master Thesis, Department of International Business., Tamkang University, Taipei.
10. Chang, Y. L.(2011). The Relationship of Consumer’s Cultural Characteristics, Ethical Beliefs and Purchasing Intentions - An Empirical Study of White Box Mobile (Shan-Zhai) Phones. Master Thesis, Shih Chien University, Taipei.
11. Chiu, H. J. (2010). Quantitative Study and Statistical Analysis- Data Analysis and Exercise of SPSS(PASW) (5). Wu-Nan Book Inc. Taipei
12. Chou, P. H. (2011).The Influence of Advertising Endorser and Sales Promotion on Purchase Intention- A Study on McDonald’s. Graduate Institute of Hospitality Management. National Kaohsiung University of Hospitality and Tourism.
13. Chung, R. Y. (2009). The International Comparison of Cultural Effect on the Adoption of Mobile Commerce. Master Thesis, Institute of Information Management, National Chi Nan University, Nantou.
14. Cox, D. F. (1967), “Risk Handling in Consumer Behavior – an Intensive Study of Two Cases, in Cox ed.,” Risk-Taking and Information-Handle in Consumer Behavior, Boston: Harvard University Press, 34-81.
15. Cunningham, S. M. (1967), “The Major Dimensions of Perceived Risk, in Cox,” Risk-Taking and Information-Handle in Consumer Behavior, Boston: Harvard University Press, 82-108.
16. Davis, K. R. (1981). Marketing Management. New York, John Wiley.
17. De Mooij, M., & Hofstede, G. (2002). Convergence and divergence in consumer behavior: implications for international retailing. Journal of retailing, 78(1), 61-69.
18. De Mooij, M., & Hofstede, G. (2011). Cross-cultural consumer behavior: A review of research findings. Journal of International Consumer Marketing, 23(3-4), 181-192.
19. Dodds, W. B., Monroe, K. B., & Grewal, D. (1991). Effects of price, brand, and store information on buyers' product evaluations. Journal of marketing research, 307-319.
20. Dodds, W. B., Monroe, K. B., & Grewal, D. (1991). Effects of price, brand, and store information on buyers' product evaluations. Journal of marketing research, 307-319.
21. Dunn, S. W. (1976). Effect of national identity on multinational promotional strategy in Europe. The Journal of Marketing, 50-57.
22. Fan T. Y. & Liu, F. M. & Ding,J.D.(2012). The Impact of Website Interactivity and Word-of-Mouth Effect on Social Networking Website Loyalty-A Case Study of Group Buying Communities. Yu Da Academic Journal, 32,. 157-174.
23. Fan, T.Y, Liu, F.M. ,Chen Y. H.(2013). The Impact of Website Quality and Interactivity on Consumers’ Purchase Intention – A Case Study of Startravel Facebook Fan Page. Journal of Lan Yang Institute of Technology, 12, 21-29.
24. Featherman, M. S., & Pavlou, P. A. (2003). Predicting e-services adoption: a perceived risk facets perspective. International journal of human-computer studies, 59(4), 451-474.
25. Forsythe, S. M., & Shi, B. (2003). Consumer patronage and risk perceptions in Internet shopping. journal of Business research, 56(11), 867-875.
26. Garretson, Judith A. & Kenneth E. Clow (1999), The influence of coupon face value on service quality expectation, risk perceptions and purchase intentions in the dental industry, The Journal of Service Marketing, 13(1), 59-70.
27. Grewal, Dhruv, Kent B. Monroe, and R. Krishnan. (1998). "The Effects of Price-Comparison Advertising on Buyers' Perceptions of Acquisition Value, Transaction Value and Behavioral Intentions." Journal of Marketing, 62 (April): 46-59.
28. Haffar, M., Enongene, L. N., Hamdan, M., & Gbadamosi, G. (2016). The Influence of National Culture on Consumer Buying Behaviour: An Exploratory Study of Nigerian and British Consumers. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Social, Behavioral, Educational, Economic, Business and Industrial Engineering, 10(8), 3040-3045.
29. Heskett, J.L., Jones, T.O., Loveman, G.W., Sasser Jr., W.E., Schlesinger, L.A., 1994. Putting the service-profit chain to work. Harvard Business Review 72 (3/4), 164–174.
30. Hofstede, G.( 2001), Culture′s Consequences: Comparing Values, Behaviors, Institutions, and Organizations Across Nations Sage Publications.
31. Hofstede, G.(1983), “The Culture Relativity of Organizational Practices and Theory, ”Journal of International Business Studies,14(2), 75-89.
32. Hofstede, G.. and M. H. Bond(1988), “The Confucius Connection: From Cultural Roots to Economic Growth,” Organizational Dynamics, 16(4), 4-21.
33. Hsee, C. R., E. U. Weber. 1998, in press. Cross-cultural differences in risk preference and lay predictions. J. Behavioral Decision Making
34. Hsieh, C.Y.(2007). Impact of Cultural Dimensions and Consumption Value on Adoption of Mobile Commerce－An Example of Taiwan Young Group. Master Thesis, Institute of Information Management, National Chi Nan University, Nantou.
35. Hsu, C. Y.. (2017). A Study of Consumer Perceived Risk toward Cross-Border E-commerce Platform. Master Thesis., Department of International Business. Tamkang University.
36. Huang, J. Y. (2002). The Marketing World(3). Taipei.
37. Huang, S. S., Huang, J. I., Liu, T. C.(1998). Marketing Management. Taipei.
38. Hung, C.C. (2013). A study of the influence of relationship marketing on perceived risk and repurchase intension for online shopping stores. Master Thesis, National Sun Yat-sen University, Kaohsiung.
39. J. F. Engel, R. D. Blackwell, and P. W. Miniard, Consumer Behavior, 7th. ed., NY: Dryden Press, 1993, ch. 4, 156.
40. Jain, S. and Srivastava, J. (2000), “An experimental and theorical analysis of price-matching refund policies”, Journal of Marketing Research,
Vol. 37 No. 3, 351-362
41. Jarvenpaa, S. L. and Todd, P. A., (1997). “Consumer reactions to electronic shopping on the world wide web.” International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 1(2), 59-88.
42. Jarvenpaa, S. L., Tractinsky, N. & Vitale, M. (2000). Consumer trust in an internet store. Information Technology and Management, 1(1-2), 45-71.
43. Keng, D. P. (2010). The Effects of the Extrinsic Cues Country-of-Origin, Business Longevity and Price on Perceived Value, Perceived Risk and Purchase Intention. Master Thesis, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan .1-106.
44. Kim, D. J., Ferrin, D. L., & Rao, H. R. (2008). A trust-based consumer decision-making model in electronic commerce: The role of trust, perceived risk, and their antecedents. Decision support systems, 44(2), 544-564.
45. Kitchen, P. J. (1993). “Marketing Communications Renaissance.” International Journal of Advertising, Vol. 12, No. 4, 367-386.
46. Ko, H., Roberts, M. and Cho, C. (2006), “Cross-cultural differences in motivations and perceived interactivity: a comparative study of American and Korean internet users”, Journal of Current Issues & Research in Advertising, Vol. 28 No. 2, 93-104
47. Kongsakprasert, C. (2014).A Study of Social Media Advertising and Brand Image toward Customer Purchase Intentions: A Comparison between Thailand and Taiwan. Master Thesis, Tamkang University, Taipei. 1-101.
48. Kotler, P. (1991), Marketing Management: Analysis, Planning, Implementation and Control, 10th Edition. New Jersey : Prentice Hall Inc.
49. Kotler, P. (1999), Kotler on Marketing: How to Create, Win, and Dominate Markets, Detroit, Free Press.
50. Landman, P. (2010). Opaque Pricing. Retrieved 4th April,2013 from http://www.xotels.com/en/revenue-management/revenue-management-book/opa
51. Law, R., & Wong, J. (2003). Successful factors for a travel website: Perceptions of online purchasers in Hong Kong. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 27(1),118-124. doi: 10.1177/1096348002238884
52. Lee, Y. L., Chiang, S. B., & Wu, C. J. (2011). A Study on the Perceived Interactivity and Perceived Value of Facebook and Their Connection to Loyalty. Journal of Design Research, 4, 50-66.
53. Li, W. Y. (1999). Consideration factors in online sales (Unpublished doctoral dissertation).National Sun Yat-sen University, Kaohsiung.
54. Lin, Y. W. (2016). The Influence of Perceived Price and Word-of-mouth on Usage Intention for Hotel Booking Sites. Master Thesis, Department of International Business, Tamkang University, Taipei.
55. Liu, M. K. (1995). Promotion Management-Theory and Practice. Taipei.
56. Liu, T.L & Kuo, C.C.(2016). The Impact of Price Promotion on Purchase Intention of Hypermarkets. Tajen Journal ,49. 83-107.
57. Liu, W.L (2017).The Impact of Perceived Risk, and Perceived Value on Trust for Airbnb : Using Emotions as the Moderating Variables. Master Thesis, I-SHOU University, Kaohsiung.1-46.
58. Liu, Y., & Shrum, L. J. (2002). What is interactivity and is it always such a good thing? Implications of definition, person, and situation for the influence of interactivity on advertising effectiveness. Journal of advertising, 31(4), 53-64.
59. McKnight, D.H., Chudhury, V. and Kacmar, C. (2002), “The impact of initial customer trust on intentions to transact with a web site: a trust building model”, Journal of Strategic Information Systems, Vol. 11 No. 4, 297-323
60. McMillan, S. J. (2000). Interactivity is in the eye of the beholder: Function, perception, involvement, and attitude toward the web site. In Proceedings of the conference-American academy of advertising (pp. 71-78). Pullman, WA; American Academy of Advertising; 1999.
61. McMillan, S. J., & Hwang, J. S. (2002). Measures of perceived interactivity: An exploration of the role of direction of communication, user control, and time in shaping perceptions of interactivity. Journal of advertising, 31(3), 29-42.
62. McMillan, S.J. and Hwang, J.-S. (2002).Measures of Perceived Interactivity: An Exploration of the Role of Direction of Communication, User Control, and Time in Shaping Perceptions of Interactivity. Journal of Advertising, 31(3), 41-54.
63. Middleton, V. T., Fyall, A., Morgan, M., Morgan, M., & Ranchhod, A. (2009). Marketing in travel and tourism. Routledge.
64. Miyazaki, A. D., & Fernandez, A. (2001). Consumer perceptions of privacy and security risks for online shopping. Journal of Consumer affairs, 35(1), 27-44.
65. N.K. Malhotra, Marketing Research. An applied orientation, Pearson, Upper Saddle River, 2007.
66. Okazaki, S. and Rivas, J.A. (2002), “A content analysis of multinationals’ web communication strategies: cross-cultural research framework and pre-testing”, Internet Research, Vol. 12, 380-90
67. Pan, H. M.(2007). The Impact of promotional Methods on Brand Assets-taking Virtual Brand as Example. Master Thesis, National Sun Yat-sen University, Kaohsiung.
68. Pearce, D. G., & Schott, C. (2005). Tourism distribution channels: The visitors’ perspective. Journal of Travel Research, 44(1), 50-63.
69. Peter, J. P., & Tarpey Sr, L. X. (1975). A comparative analysis of three consumer decision strategies. Journal of consumer research, 2(1), 29-37.
70. Raghubir, P., & Corfman, K. (1999). When do price promotions affect pretrial brand evaluations?. Journal of Marketing Research, 211-222.
71. Schiffman, L.G. and L.L. Kanuk, (2000), Consumer Behavior(7th ed.), Upper Saddle River, N,J.: Prentice Hall.
72. Shimp, T. A. (1997). Advertising, Promotion, and Supplemental Aspects Integrated Marketing Communications, Chicago, Dryden Press, 4th edition.
73. Shimp, T.A., Bearden, W., 1982. Warranty and other extrinsic cue effects on consumer risk perceptions. Journal of Consumer Research 9 (1), 38–46.
74. Song, J. H., & Zinkhan, G. M. (2008). Determinants of perceived web site interactivity. Journal of marketing, 72(2), 99-113.
75. Srite, M. and Karahanna, E.(2006), “The Role of Espoused National Cultural Values in Technology Acceptance,” MIS Quarterly, 30(3), 679-704.
76. Steuer, J.(1992), Defining Virtual Reality: Dimensions Determining Telepresence. Journal of Communications, 42 (4), 73 –93.
77. Stewart, David W. and Paul A. Pavlou(2002). From Consumer Response to Active Consumer: Measuring the Effectiveness of Interactive Media. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science , 30(4), 376-396.
78. Stone, R. N. and Gronhaug, K. (1993), “Perceived risk: Further Considerations for the Marketing Discipline,” European Journal of Marketing, Vol. 27, No. 3, 39-50.
79. Su, J. L., Chin C. (1998). The Relationship of Tour Image, Perceived Value, Service Quality and Perceived Risk with Post-Tour Behavioral Intention – A Case Study on West Lake Resortopia in Miaoli Country. Journal of National United University 5(1),181-200
80. Swaminathan, V., Lepkowska-White, E., & Rao, B. P. (1999). Browsers or buyers in cyberspace? An investigation of factors influencing electronic exchange. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 5(2), JCMC523.
81. Syu, L. Y. (2011). An Empirical Study of Continuing Usage in Social Network Context: An Integrated Mode of ECT and Interactivity Factors. Master Thesis, Department of Information Management. National Taiwan University, Taipei.
82. Tan, S.J. (1999). Strategies for reducing consumers’ risk aversion in Internet shopping. Journal of consumer marketing, 16(2), 163-180.
83. Taylor, J.W., 1974. The role of risk in consumer behavior. Journal of Marketing 38 (2), 54–60.
84. Thaler, Richard (1985), "Mental Accounting and Consumer Choice," Marketing Science, 4 (Summer), 199-214.
85. Wang,T.H. & Jan, Y. Y. (2016). Online Hotel Booking Service Quality, Satisfaction and Customer Loyalty: A Case Study Using Agoda. Journal of Sport and Recreation Management, 14(1) , 45-66.
86. Weber, E. U., & Hsee, C. (1998). Cross-cultural differences in risk perception, but cross-cultural similarities in attitudes towards perceived risk. Management science, 44(9), 1205-1217.
87. Webster, F. E. (1965). “The Deal-Prone Consumer.” Journal of marketing research, Vol. 2, 186-189.
88. Wei, W.C. & Hou, Y.T.(2008). An Empirical Study of Product Involvement and Perceived Risk on the Purchase Intention of Organic Vegetable and Fruit. International Journal of Lisrel, 1(1). 61-72.
89. Wong, J., & Law, R. (2005). Analyzing the intention to purchase on hotel websites: A study of travelers to Hong Kong. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 24, 311-329. doi: 10.1016/j.ijhm.2004.08.002
90. Wu, G. (1999, March). Perceived interactivity and attitude toward web sites. In Proceedings of the conference-American Academy of Advertising (pp. 254-262). American Academy of Advertising.
91. Wu, H. M. (2011). A study of satisfaction in university websites: An example of Chung-Hua University (Unpublished doctoral dissertation). Chung-Hua University, Hsinchu.
92. Wu, M. (2006). Hofstede's cultural dimensions 30 years later: A study of Taiwan and the United States. Intercultural Communication Studies, 15(1), 33.
93. Wu, M. L.(2008). Operation and application of SPSS: Multivariable Analysis Practice
94. Wu, T. H. (1984). Theory and Method of Telephone Survey. Taipei
95. Yang, R.Y. (2011) The Brand Identification of Private Brand and the Impact on Purchase Intention. Master Thesis, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan.1-126.
96. Yang, W.C. (2002). Constructing the ideal elementary school website from the perspective of users—Case study of Miaoli County (Unpublished doctoral dissertation).National Hsinchu University of Education, Hsinchu.
97. Yu, H., Paek, H. J., & Bae, B. (2008). Cross-cultural comparison of interactivity and advertising appeals on antismoking web sites in the United States and South Korea. Internet Research, 18(5), 454-476.
98. Zeithaml, Valarie A. 1988. “Consumer Perceptions of Price, Quality, and Value: A Means-End Model and Synthesis of Evidence.”Journal of Marketing 52 (July): 2–22.
99. Zhu, J. (2014). Understanding the Influence of Culture on Cause-Related Marketing Practices.