|| This paper is to investigate the interaction of Liu Xia’s prose writing with her Christian beliefs. Liu Xia, one of Taiwan's most well-known prose writers, was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis when she was 12 years old. Four years later, she was baptized a Christian. That brought a new meaning and value into her life. Firmly believing that modern Christian literature can nourish the hearts of readers, Liu Xia chose prose writing to convey this concept in the hope of influencing countless readers who are spiritually fatigued. She, then, dedicated herself to social service and established Eden Social Welfare Foundation to support physically- challenged people and to fight for their rights and interests. Not only did she reform the social welfare system, but also set a good example to both Christians and the world.
This study is divided into five chapters as following:
1. The first chapter reviews the relevant research, defines the scope of the research literature, and describes the research methods used.
2. The second chapter traces Liu Xia's devout life course as the main thread, explains Liu Xia’s strong Christian beliefs, including faith, prayers, joy, obedience, trust and her endurance of suffering. It portrays Liu Xia’s pious experience in detail.
3. Chapter 3 is about Liu Xia’s writing which summarizes her praise of God's Creation, her appreciation of the essence of love, her admiration of the spirit of optimism, her witness the glory God, her preaching of the Gospel, as well as her understanding of the wisdom of life and death. Liu Xia often quotes verses and stories from the Bible in her prose writing. She also further elaborates on the effects of her baptism which result in her composing of hymns to praise Heavenly Father.
4. Chapter 4 explores in detail Liu Xia’s goal to uphold and spread the Christian teaching that "God loves the world," a teaching that motivates her to establish Eden Social Welfare Foundation. It is an organization created for persons with disabilities to encourage and train them to overcome their limitations and to be self-sufficient. The Foundation had successfully pushed the government to revise the Disabled Welfare Act. It is an “Eden” for all disabled and handicapped compatriots.
5. Chapter 5 concludes with Liu Xia’s love for life and Christianity. Her sincere nature motivates her to share her belief that the love of Christ will never fail through her work.
Liu Xia, in response to God’s calling and with a great love for the physically-challenged, has interwoven the Gospel with her prose to serve the Weak and the Needy, to promote the Gospel and to bring people to God. During her lifetime, she remained happy and optimistic despite the adversities of life and she has never stopped her social welfare mission. Liu Xia, the faithful and loyal wheelchair writer, is herself the best interpretation of “God is love.”